Sunday, May 15, 2011

Carabiner of Hope

Our prayer and meditation this morning for Sally’s healing is taken from Praying Through Cancer: Set Your Heart Free From Fear by Susan Sorensen and Laura Geist. Excerpt written by Laurann Patterson, homemaker and retired teacher.

We also rejoice in our sufferings,
because we know that suffering produces perseverance;
perseverance, character; and character, hope.
~Romans 5:3-4
When I was recovering from my cancer, I bought a carabiner. “What’s that?” you may be asking. “Some new medical device?” Actually, a carabiner is used in mountain climbing to connect ropes. It’s the number one choice to assure that ropes are held securely. It protects the climber by making the lifelines safe.
Life has been full of challenges that seemed like mountains. I have learned a lot along the path. There have been times I have relied on the easiest choice because it seemed like a fast fix for a tough climb. Then I hoped it was safe. Other times I have tried to do it on my own, without securing my rope. I’ve experienced numerous challenges in life without a firm hold.
My carabiner reminds me of the only secure and steadfast lifeline, Jesus. When I attach myself to Him, He will never let me go. He is the vision beyond my sight. I may have times of feeling helpless, but I am never hopeless when I am securely hooked to and held tightly by Him.
Dear Lord, I confess, I am not always brave. I forget to hold on to You when the journey is rough and my climb is uphill. (Take a moment to acknowledge before the Lord those times when you have gone your own way or tried to do it without His aid.) Thank You for holding on to me—for protecting and loving me even when I have not secured my rope to You. I am grateful for Your willingness to receive me now.
You are my safe and steadfast lifeline. You hold me secure. You do not grow tired or weary, and Your understanding no one can fathom. You give strength to the weary and increase the power of the weak. Even youth grow tired and weary and young men stumble and fall. But those who hope in You will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.
Prayer Reference
Isaiah 40:28-31

Music for Meditation
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus by Alan Jackson


If you feel led to do so, please post a note of encouragement in the comment section below or send your note by email to PrayersForSally@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment