Thursday, April 28, 2011

Swing Low Sweet Chariot

As we pray and meditate over Sally's healing this morning, I offer this excerpt from Praying Through Cancer by Susan Sorensen.



He who dwells in the shelter of the Most high 
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1


Hannah Whitall Smith, in her classic book A Christian's Secret to a Happy Life, said trials are "God's chariots sent to take the soul to its high places of triumph." She encouraged, "When your trial comes, then, put it right into the will of God, and climb into that will as a child climbs into its mother's arms. The baby carried in the chariot of its mother's arms rides triumphantly though the hardest places, and does not even know they are hard. And how much more we who are carried in the chariot of the the 'arms of God!'"

I was reminded of this on the morning of my mastectomy. The entire way to the operating room a tall, strong orderly sang many of the great Christian hymns as he navigated my gurney through the hallways. I might have believed him to be an angel, but everyone seemed to know him as he walked by. His voice and message were beautiful. I truly felt I was in God's chariot all the way to surgery. I had climbed in, and my loving Father was reminding me of all His great promises as we rode on our way.


Prayer for Meditation

I praise You, heavenly Father. Though sin separated me from You, You grabbed hold of me and made me Your child. I praise You, Jesus, for taking my place on the cross and being the bridge to this wonderful, eternal relationship. How awesome it is to be loved so completely.

Thank you for allowing me to climb into Your arms. I can let go and let You hold me through this ride down a path that is unknown. Help me to trust You so completely that I don't even know the rocky places are hard.

Praise You for Your promise to work all things, even the bad things, for good for those who love You and are called according to your purpose. All I need to do is give my needs, desires, and wants to You, my faithful and loving Father, the God in whom I trust!

Watch for the unexpected blessings - gifts the Lord desires to give you during this journey.

Scripture for Meditation

And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. Romans 8:28

Music for Meditation

Swing Low Sweet Chariot by Kathleen Battle


If you feel led to do so, please post a note of encouragement in the comment section below or send your note by email to PrayersForSally@gmail.com.


1 comment:

  1. Dear Sally, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete