Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sleep Deprived

Our prayer and meditation this morning comes from Praying Through Cancer by Susan Sorensen. Excerpt written by Lois Olmstead author of Breast Cancer and Me.
I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep:
 for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety

~Psalm 4:8 KJV
I had always been a morning person and followed the old adage, “Early to bed, early to rise.” But cancer treatment changed that.
At first, I thought it was worry or fear that was keeping me awake long hours in the night. However, after committing every single thing I could think of to the Lord, I was still awake. I asked people to pray for me. I was still awake. Finally, checking with my doctor (Now isn’t that a novel idea?), I found out that sleeplessness is a common side effect of cancer treatment.
Patients undergoing radiation and many of the chemotherapy protocols find they cannot sleep. You want to go to sleep. You want to rest. You are bone tired. But your brain will not shut down. In talking with other cancer survivors, the most common comment was, “I thought it was just me.”
I found that National Geographic travel videos or Moody Bible Institute praise and worship videos helped me thorough sleepless nights. My Bible was a source of encouragement. Praying also brought comfort and courage during those long, sleepless nights. 
Prayer for Meditation
Lord God, I praise You that when I am awake in the middle of the night, You are not asleep. Even in the night hours, You hear my prayers. Your presence comforts me. Your Word strengthens me. I thank You, Lord.
It is amazing to consider that You watch over me. You are the shade at my right hand. The sun will not harm me by day or the moon by night. You watch over my coming and going both now and forevermore. Thank You for Your promise that when I lie down, I need not be afraid. When I lie down, my sleep will be sweet. You are my strength and my shield. You are my Shepherd. I will trust in You.
Scripture for Meditation
He will not let you stumble and fall; the one who watches over you will not sleep. Indeed, he who watches over Israel never tires and never sleeps. The Lord himself watches over you! The LORD stands beside you as your protective shade. The sun will not hurt you by day nor the moon at night. The LORD keeps you from all evil and preserves your life. The LORD keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever. Psalm 121:3-8
You can lie down without fear and enjoy pleasant dreams. Proverbs 3:24
Music for Meditation
Perfect Peace by Laura Story

If you feel led to do so, please post a note of encouragement in the comment section below, or send your note by email to PrayersForSally@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment