Tuesday, May 24, 2011

For The Beauty of the Earth

Our prayer and meditation this morning for Sally’s healing is an excerpt from Praying Through Cancer by Susan Sorensen. Excerpt written by Diane Lankford.

Consider the ravens: They do sow or reap,
they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them.
And how much more valuable you are than birds!
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
Since you cannot do this very little thing,
why do you worry about the rest?

~Luke 12:24-26


When we bought a new house, my only request was a screened-in porch. Little did I know how important that porch would become to me three years later when I was diagnosed with late-stage ovarian cancer. The porch became my recovery room as well as any sanctuary where I could sit, worship, reflect, and meditate on God’s wonderful creation.

One of those creations was the birds. They flew so gracefully, sang so melodiously, and ate from my feeders so thankfully. I knew God was watching over them, yet I was much more valuable than they in His sight! What a comfort and peace that brought me on days when I was bald, weak, and weary from fighting this disease. There were days I did not feel like reading or singing, but I could enjoy the birds singing God’s promises to me.

Seven years later, I’m still enjoying my screened-in porch. I look forward to entering my peaceful sanctuary and enjoying God’s presence and creation.

Prayer for Meditation

Heavenly Father, thank You so much for creating this wonderful world for me to live in. Thank you for sending the birds to sing, the trees that grow tall and point to the heavens, the beautiful blue skies, and even the gray and rainy days. These are gifts from You. All I have to do is receive and enjoy them.

Open my eyes, Lord, during days when I am too weak to care. Help me see Your wondrous works in all the nature around me. Help me also release my worries to You because You ask me, “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” I know from the Bible that all of my days were numbered even before I was born. It is up to me to make the most of every day You give.

Thank You for the “sanctuaries” where I am able to enjoy the gifts given by You, my Creator


Scripture for Meditation
Prayer References: Luke 12:25; Psalm 139:16

Music for Meditation
St. Paul's Cathedral Choir For The Beauty of The Earth


If you feel led to do so, please post a note of encouragement in the comment section below or send your note by email to PrayersForSally@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment