Monday, October 24, 2011

What is the point of faith if everything can be explained


I think he (Mister Rogers) made me less narrow-minded, more tolerant, and more in awe of what’s mysterious about our faith. I think I thought I had my faith all figured out, and he reintroduced mystery.
~~Amy Hollingsworth

This morning’s prayer and meditation for Sally’s healing comes from Take Heart, Oh God: Riches from the Greatest Christian Women Writers of All Time.
The mysterious part of Christianity is many times ignored. We don’t understand it, so we choose not to think on it. How did a virgin have a baby? What was God doing before he made the earth? How did Jesus turn water to wine? The questions make us uncomfortable, as if our inability to answer them puts our faith on shaky ground.
We can’t answer many of those questions—and we ought to be glad of that. What is the point of faith if everything can be explained, if we have all the answers, if there is no mystery left? God delights in our questions and he will give us whatever information we truly need. Beyond that, we should simply be in awe of him.
Let your questions lead you straight back to God himself, and to your knees in worship of his greatness. Celebrate the mystery?  
Prayer for Meditation
I stand in awe of you, Lord, and the mystery of your love for me.  
Scripture for Meditation
Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.  Hebrews 11:1
Music for Meditation

Into My Heart 


If you feel led to do so, please post a note of encouragement in the comment section below, or send your note by email to PrayersForSally@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment